When transferring from a film model to a digital mode, it is common to a see the change that there is a variety of options regarding the image quality as well as the resolution you’re offered for shooting photos. There are at least five various different resolution levels in almost all digital cameras. The number can be 10 or more for some certain models.
Although the highest available resolution number has been always selected because you will find it easier to shoot photos with a high resolution camera, sometimes it is better to shoot a photo at the lower level of resolution. Below, I’d like to list a number of tips to help you choose camera resolutions and find out more about: What is resolution?
How to choose the right camera resolution
Both the image quality and the resolution can be controlled by using the menus of a digital model. To set the image quality, you can also select the aspect ratio as well, for example, 4:3 or 16:9 ratios.
- In case that you want to prints your digital photos, it will be nice to shoot photos at the highest resolution. It is impossible to increase the number of pixels in your photos later if you have shot them already, right?
- Even when you just need to print the photos at a small size, the high resolution is still better. You’re going to able to reduce the size of a photo without affecting its image quality. This offers you a result similar to zoom.
- Don’t forget that when you select the highest level of resolutions, you’ll need more space for the photos in the memory card as well as in the hard drive. For example, if a photo of 12 megapixel resolution will account for 40% more storage space on a memory card than with a photo of the 5 MP resolution. If you don’t make prints frequently, the medium resolution will be nicer regarding the required storage space.
- The low resolution level is more appropriate for some certain purposes of using the photos. For instance, if you just want to share the photos online or via email and you don’t intend to make large prints, the low resolution is a nice option. These types of photos are very convenient because it helps save time in sending via email or downloading them from the internet. One typical example is the display of low resolution photos in websites and there is an image setting of the “web quality” in many digital cameras.
- But I have to say that nowadays, there are an increasing number of internet options at the high speed, the low resolution has been less important than it was in some years previously. In the past, because of the internet access based on the web dial, it took more time to download a photo of high resolution. Now, the situation has been changed for a big number of broadband Internet users.
- If you are still confused about the way you will use an image of a specific subject, you may select various resolution options and pick proper ones for each particular situation later.
- Maybe the greatest advice here is that you should always capture images at the highest available level of resolution. While it is impossible to add more pixels to your photos later, you can lower the resolution by using a photo editing software to reduce the storage space on your computer and share the photos more easily via social networks.